Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Birth of Cage Walter Brockman

by Danielle Brockman

When I found out I was pregnant, I was super excited. I couldn’t wait to see my husband when he got home from work. I called and told him on his lunch break; he texted me saying he was trying  not to cry he was so happy. So we kept our little man a secret until Thanksgiving. We wanted that time to ourselves, so Thanksgiving we went to my grandma’s first, as always. I had a fortune cookie made that was as big as my belly, and I had my grandma and dad open it together as we all sat in the kitchen after eating. My grandma pulled the little poem out and read it; she cried, saying, “YOU’RE TRYING TO TELL ME YOU’RE PREGNANT!”  As I looked at my dad, we were both teary eyed. I knew the excitement they had was priceless. Once we got to Sean’s mom and dad’s (where we were staying at the time til we got our place finished) everyone was there. Time to eat came around and everyone had to say what they were thankful for, so when it was our time we had his mom go into the kitchen and open the oven and a small bun awaited with a saying inside. After about three times of reading it she just yelled in joy, “You’re pregnant!”  over and over again. The joy of being able to finally tell everyone was out. I was 9 weeks or so, I believe. 
   
     I had called the Birth Center before anyone knew and set up a tour. We had to beat around a bush so no one could figure it out. We loved the place and staff the minute we walked in. It was so home-like and child-friendly, which is awesome.  At our first appointment, we got to hear that tiny heart beat where my little man stayed on my left side for a long time. Allison did my exam, and she guessed I was 11 weeks. Well, on December 30 I had my first ultrasound at UNC, and I turned out to be 14 weeks along, so I was then due June 20th. At the first ultrasound, I will never forget the lady saying, “Promise me if I tell you this, you won’t go out and buy anything.”  I said, “Sure, what’s wrong?” She showed us it was a boy. Already we could tell, bright-eyed on the screen. I cried, “Finally a little boy is to be born on my side as far as grandkids!” The moment I saw that first picture, I was in love with this small baby who was growing so much and fast. Once we had our second ultrasound on January 27, we knew for sure ITS A BOY... So happy we were gonna have a little boy! We went and had lunch to celebrate. I called my dad first to tell him he was getting his 6th grandchild and first grandson. 

     Sean and I got married on March 17 after being together for almost 7 years. I started going to Group Prenatal Care at the Birth Center, which I enjoyed more than ever -- meeting great staff and couples, learning all there is to know.

     One day I was at work on a Monday, due within two weeks (yes, I worked until the day I had him). I was going to the bathroom way more and felt like I was leaking. I had been running around so much, I couldn’t tell. I called the Birth Center nurse, and she said to come in and be seen. I talked to my manager, and she had me take the rest of the day off to rest. I went in at 11ish, and Patti did an exam to make sure no fluids were leaking.  There were no fluids leaking, but she found baby hair, and it made me just so happy to know time was getting closer. She told me even better news: I was 3 cm dilated already! I called my husband and told him our good news. He was happy.

     On that Thursday during Group, I asked to be checked again. Allison was so kind and checked me and answered the questions I had. I was 4 cm and 100 percent thinned out. I went on with working and my daily routines.

     On Saturday, June 16, when I woke up at 7 am to use the bathroom, I felt crampy. I thought if I went back to sleep it would go away. Well, at 9 am, my normal time to get up, as my husband and I lied in bed, I felt even more constant cramping, so I knew I was contracting. I called the on-call midwife. The cramps were back-to-back as I walked around to ease them, so I was told I could come in and be checked.

     At a little after 10 am, we arrived and met Sarah, our midwife. She checked me, and I was 5 cm along, which really bummed me out.  I was told I could go walk; well, after a few minutes of walking, I was ready for a nap.  Since I knew what I was feeling was real (it was pre-labor), I called my boss and let her know I wouldn’t be back into work.

   At about 2 am, after trying to rest and only being soothed by a hot shower, I had Sean call Sarah and let her know my status. My contractions were 30-40 seconds long and 1 to 2 minutes apart. So we agreed to meet up at the Birth Center at 3am. I took another hot shower to soothe what I was feeling for the horrible car ride ahead. We didn’t tell anyone I was in labor. Once we arrived, we went in and met Sarah and Nicole. I was checked once again and was told I was 9 cm! I got to get into the birthing tub to ease my labor, but my back labor was stronger. Not even 45 minutes had passed when I wanted to try to nap, but I couldn’t lie on my side. I got checked one more time and was at 10 cm dilated. Sarah helped move a tiny part of my cervix and had me do a push.

     I got back into the tub, and I pushed for two and half hours while Sean and Sarah replaced cold rags on my forehead and chest. I wanted so badly to sleep, but I couldn't, so Sarah had me get out and onto the bed on my left side. Not even 20 minutes later, at 6:41 am, my son, Cage Walter Brockman, was being delivered by Sean and Sarah.   He weighed 7 lbs., 13 oz. and was 19 inches long.  What a great Fathers’ Day! We called our families to let them hear Cage cry, worked on lactation, and then at 1:50 arrived home to shower and nap. Today Cage is a healthy 11-pound, 12-ounce smiling little boy. We can’t thank the staff enough for their help! 

No comments:

Post a Comment