Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Nursing Session: From Your Baby Piranha’s Point of View

By Claire C. McKiernan

Here I am, seven months old, resting comfortably in Mommy’s arms. We sway back and forth in the rocker together, and I look into her eyes as I nurse contentedly. We do this every evening. She smiles lovingly down at me and I feel safe. But something isn’t right…

My gums are sore and they hurt. Mommy says I am getting teeth. She loves me so, so much. Her breast feels so soft…so warm… and just right…so I think I will…

CHOMP!!

Why did Mommy screech like that? Why has Mommy taken away her breast? Doesn’t she know it felt good on my sore gums?

Ahh, she is returning me to her breast. That’s better.

Mmmm, warm sweet milk. That yelp was interesting, though. She has never done THAT before. I wonder if she will do it again?

CHOMP!!

Yep, same reaction. I smile and laugh. What fun! I can make Mommy yelp! Those must be tears of joy in her eyes. She is always proud of me when I learn something new.

Her voice doesn’t sound proud, though. She says she will give me one more try. She moves me to the other breast. I’m happy again. I grin at her.

Hey!  She took me off the breast! She says I had a gleam in my eye. She says she’s onto my little game. She repeats her new saying for the night: “No bite! That hurts Mommy!” and then slowly, slowly, with her lips pursed and her eyes squinting accusingly down on me, she allows me to latch back on.

What funny faces she makes! I giggle, with her nipple still in my mouth. Milk runs down my chin. She lets down her guard and smiles again as she wipes my chin. We’re happy together. We love each other.

This new power I have over Mommy really should be tested again. My belly is filling up but my gums still hurt. I look up at her slowly, trying to act real casual. But I blow it and start to grin. “Noooo bite,” she warns, but it’s too irresistible…I start to press down slowly but firmly…maybe she won’t notice. I grind my gums back and forth.

What’s this? She is pulling me closer to her instead of unlatching me! Surprised, I open my mouth and she quickly takes me off the breast.

“No bite,” she says, as she lifts me up to change me. She says my older siblings went through this phase, too, and it doesn’t last forever. We will get through it together and be a happy nursing duo again.

She tells me that tomorrow she will try putting me further back on her breast in hopes that a full mouth will give me less chomping room. Sleepily, I study her face while she changes me. She’s a smart cookie, my Mommy.

But, then again, I’m a stubborn kid!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment