Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Aromatherapy Blend: Morning Sickness Relief

By Allison Koch, CNM


10 drops peppermint essential oil
10 drops bergamot or a citrus like orange or lemon oil

Add to a small amount of a carrier oil like almond, jojoba, or apricot kernel. Mix well. Put a few drops in an aromatherapy diffuser, or on a tissue tucked in your pocket - whatever will keep it accessible to you as you go about your day. I liked the tissue in my pocket, because I found the nausea hit me at odd times, and I could just take a sniff as needed.


Another scent to try is cinnamon oil, which is good for a variety of things, including anxiety, but also nausea. Cinnamon has a strong aroma and is best alone or blended with something light like neroli (orange blossom).


There are some oils that are considered unsafe for use in early pregnancy due to their ability to make the uterus contract: oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram, and sage. I have also heard conflicting things about lavender oil in first trimester, so probably best to avoid it early in pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment