Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Feedback: Help the WBWC Help You!

By Claire C. McKiernan

          Nine years ago, when I gave birth to my first child, I was given an in-depth Postpartum Care Guide from the birth center on what to expect of my baby and myself, and how to get myself back into the swing of things. I have no doubt that someone put a great deal of time into the guide, most likely in her very hard-to-find spare time. I found it enormously helpful, but as a former technical writer and editor, I was put off by the typos in the booklet. They just kept catching my eye.

At first I overlooked it, but it gnawed at me. I was so thrilled with the care I received at the birth center that I truly wanted everything, right down to the dotted i’s and crossed t’s in the Postpartum Care Guide, to be impressive. I saw an opportunity for improvement and mentioned it to Maureen Darcey. It seemed so trifling that I’m not sure I expected much of a response. However, Maureen took my request very seriously. In fact, before the end of our conversation, she had already found a top-notch former technical writer and editor to revise the booklet!

What’s my point? Maureen and the staff at The Women’s Birth and Wellness Center want you to know that they strive to make your visits as stress-free and pleasant as possible. In order to provide the best care possible, the staff needs your feedback, both good and bad. Even if it seems trifling, if it bothers you, it can probably be improved.

If you are unhappy for any reason, have concerns, or suggestions for improvement, let Maureen Darcey or Brianna Honea (women@ncbirthcenter.org) know. All emails sent to Brianna concerning patient care will also be forwarded to Maureen. Additionally, you will receive a 6-week postpartum survey or GYN survey that prompts you for feedback. PLEASE fill this out, and if you have a grievance, leave your name so that Maureen or Brianna can contact you. They review each and every survey carefully and will follow-up with you if you had any concerns.

Since its birth, the WBWC has grown, much like a child, by leaps and bounds. But also like a child, there may be times when caring guidance and advice are necessary for it to reach its full potential. While the WBWC staff asks for your patience and understanding during the most active growth spurts, they encourage your advice and assistance (where applicable) in helping it to be the best it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment