Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Second Birth Story

By Claire C. McKiernan

          “Light the candles,
          Get the ice out,
          Roll the rug up,
          It's today.”
          These are the beginning lyrics to the song “It’s Today” from the musical Mame (lyrics by Jerry Herman). I hadn’t watched Mame recently, and I had no reason for it to be in my head. Still, these lyrics were blaring in my brain as I woke up with a start early on October 1, 2005. Apparently my sub-conscience was telling me something. As I lay in bed wondering why this song was stuck in my head, repeating over and over, I suddenly felt this huge surge, like an oceanic wave followed by a “pop!” in my belly. It was close to 6:30 a.m., and I nudged my husband, Mike, to tell him my water had just broken.
          I had no contractions, so I showered and went about my business of eating breakfast, and reading to our 2-year-9-month-old, Christina. She and I watched “Thomas and Friends,” and by 8 a.m. I noticed light, crampy contractions. I called the midwives and then my parents so my mom would be ready for the trip to the birth center. My dad arrived to pick up Christina for the day.
          I finished decorating the house for Halloween and removed the lemon pound cake I had made a month earlier from the freezer. This was to be our second child’s “original birthday cake”.  Mike finished making the fresh strawberry sauce I was reducing on the stove for the topping, so I could rest. I kept in touch with Maureen, the midwife on duty that day, but was not eager to arrive too early as I had done nearly three years earlier. She trusted me to go with my gut feeling on when to head over to the birth center.
          By noon my contractions were stronger. We left for the birth center about 1pm, picking up my mother along the way, and arriving at 2pm. I asked for, and received, the same birthing room where Christina had been born.  I was half-way dilated and spent some time on the birthing ball and then on the bed. I had practiced the relaxation and calm, deep breathing of the Bradley Method so often that the nurse told Mike she couldn’t always tell when I was having a contraction! I needed absolute quiet, Mike to rub my lower back, and the complete cooperation of those around me to get through my contractions. I doubt I would have achieved such inner calm had I been surrounded by machines and the bustle of hospital staff!
          Maureen recommended getting in the tub. I was nervous because I had done this briefly in my first labor and had found the contractions to be more painful. She told me to just try it; I could always get out. Maybe it was because I was more relaxed this time around, but I liked the tub, and I dilated quickly in the space of an hour. Maureen suggested getting out of the tub and back on the bed. Though I had not planned a water birth, I informed her that I didn’t think I could move, and I really needed to push!
          A very short time later (about 15 minutes?), at 4:17pm, I gloriously gave birth to our 22.5 inch, 9 lb. 15 oz. son, Thomas Michael. The water birth was not only much easier, but I have always been grateful I gave birth that way since Tommy was born with the cord wrapped around his neck three times. Under water, he was not yet using his lungs to breathe in air, but was receiving oxygen through the cord, as he had in the womb.  Maureen had time to slip the cord off his neck before bringing him up for his first real breath. She slipped my lovely baby onto my tummy and we were delighted to discover that we had a son to even out the family.
          Maureen gave me one stitch for a small surface tear, which she said was more of a badge of honor than anything else. After that, Mike, Tom, and I rested comfortably on the bed. I was soon calling Christina and my dad, along with other family members, resting, nursing, and eating great food that my mom had brought along. My mom helped me to shower and we blissfully and eagerly headed for home around 9:45pm.
          Since that day, whenever I watch Mame I think of Tommy’s birthday. One of the last stanzas to “It’s Today” was so meaningful and prophetic that day that it still brings tears to my eyes:

 “Someone gave me a wonderful present,
 Something I needed and yet never knew,
So start the whistling and clapping,
  'Cause under the wrapping was you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment